Hours: Monday - Friday (40-hour full time)
Salary: $49,000 to $53,000 / annual commensurate with experience
Interested in applying for this position? Applications must be submitted online and through the City of Albany's Civil Service Employment Portal
Human Resources Generalist II
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is specialized work with a high level of independent responsibility for the application of Civil Service Law and City of Albany Rules and Regulations regarding civil service administration for all civil divisions that fall within the jurisdiction of the City of Albany Civil Service Commission. The work also involves independent responsibility for administering human resources, benefits administration, civil service transactions, contract interpretation, and other related functions. The work entails a high degree of accuracy, attention to detail, and computational skills. Work is performed under the general supervision of senior level employees with leeway allowed for the use of independent judgment in the performance of routine work assignments. Supervision and training may be exercised over subordinate personnel. The incumbent does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Performs administrative functions related to all human resources, benefits and civil service transactions;
- Counsels and confers with local governmental officials on matters of personnel and civil service administration within their jurisdiction;
- Conducts employee orientation and on-boarding sessions;
- Contacts department heads, payroll personnel, and agency contact personnel on questions pertaining to errors or failure to follow proper procedures, applications, reports of personnel change forms, etc., as established in Civil Service Law and/or city personnel requirements;
- Educates employees and retirees benefit options and entitlements;
- Maintains and updates detailed computerized personnel and roster records to ensure individuals are employed in accordance with Civil Service Law and City of Albany Civil Service Rules and Regulations;
- Provides training/assistance to personnel from various jurisdictions;
- Tracks dependent eligibility for health, vision and dental coverage;
- Maintains health insurance and workers’ compensation files;
- Conducts initial review and determination of applications for appointments and examinations to ensure candidates meet the required minimum qualification standards and takes appropriate action in accordance with Civil Service Law;
- Maintains all aspects of the examination process and eligible list administration in accordance with Civil Service Law and City of Albany Civil Service Rules and Regulations;
- Prepares all aspects of records retention and disposition of records for the department;
- Prepares letters, forms, and detailed reports using computer, and monitors and updates reports as necessary;
- Compiles and prepares statistical reports, account keeping records and reports for arithmetical and clerical accuracy;
- Compiles and maintains personnel record files;
- Recruits and trains subordinate personnel;
- Represents the department at various meetings, recruitment programs, and city events;
- Assists in classification studies and reviews for position title change;
- Assists in conducting member benefits eligibility review on an annual basis or as required;
- Assists in developing and the administration of training programs and human resources initiatives;
- Assists in planning new methods, policies, and procedures for more efficient operation of the Office of Human Resources;
- Assists in the process of potential layoff situations;
- Assists in special studies and surveys as assigned;
- Assists in compilation, processing and follow-up of Civil Service Commission meeting agenda items;
- Assists and instructs employees and customers with use of application software;
- Assist senior level staff in a variety of other Human Resources duties and projects;
- Operate various office machines;
- Acts as proctor in conducting examinations;
- Enters and retrieves information in an automated information system;
- Performs related work as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Thorough knowledge of Civil Service Law and City of Albany Rules and Regulations;
- Good knowledge of Federal, State and Local labor laws and regulations;
- Good knowledge of the practices, principles and techniques of public employment administration;
- Good knowledge of human resource management principles and practices;
- Good knowledge of office terminology, procedures, equipment and business English;
- Good knowledge of public employment administration;
- Skill in the use of common office computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheet and database programs;
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality;
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel;
- Ability to meet and deal effectively with employees and the public;
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing;
- Ability to understand both oral and written instructions;
- Ability to organize and maintain accurate records and files;
- Ability to prepare written reports;
- Ability to establish and maintain good relationships with others;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of this position.
A. Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university or one accredited by the NYS Board of Regents to grant degrees with a Bachelor’s Degree and two (2) years of full-time paid experience in human resources, public or business administration ; OR
B. Graduation from a regionally accredited or NYS registered college or one accredited by the NYS Board of Regents to grant degrees with an Associate’s degree and four (4) years of full-time paid experience in human resources, public or business administration; OR
C. Graduation from High School or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and six (6) years of full time paid work experience in human resources, public or business administration ; OR
D. Any equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A), (B), or (C) above.
NOTE: A background check will be conducted prior to appointment.
To apply please click here
Applicants must meet the requirements as outlined in the above job description.
Section 62-1 of Chapter 62 of the Code of the City of Albany (Residency Requirement) is not a requirement for the position.
The Albany Parking Authority is An Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer.