Hours: Monday - Friday (Hours to be determined - 40hrs/week)
Salary: $17.50/ hour
Interested in applying for this position? Applications must be submitted online and through the City of Albany's Civil Service Employment Portal
SENIOR LABORER I
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This position involves the performance of routine, unskilled manual labor, either indoors or outdoors, in a group or alone. It requires heavy lifting, physical endurance and a willingness and ability to perform physically demanding tasks. The work involves the use of manual tools on routine tasks and occasional use of small power tools on assignments. Work is usually performed under the general direction of a supervisor although the incumbent may be assigned repetitive or recurring simple tasks away from the view of a supervisory employee and is expected to accomplish the task as directed. Upon completion of the assigned task, the incumbent is to report to a supervisor for further directives. This position assists in the installation, construction, maintenance, repair and cleaning of parks, streets, sidewalks, curbs, and water, drainage, sewage systems and facilities. This work includes janitorial duties, digging and backfilling trenches and excavations with pick and shovel, patching holes with asphalt, sealing cracks, lifting and carrying 50-pound bags of concrete, lifting and loading pieces of broken concrete slabs and placing them into a wheel barrow or bucket loader.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Tamps and shovels asphalt;
- Loads and unloads trucks with various objects including; waste material, dirt and debris, mulch, trees and shrubs, lawn mowers, snow blowers and other equipment;
- Shovels, plows and removes snow and participates in all types of snow and ice removal from streets, sidewalks, bridges, driveways and parking lots/garages;
- Distributes sand and salt as directed;
- Walks alongside moving trucks and dumps garbage containers into truck;
- Patrols, inspects and acts as watchman at City/agency run facilities including reservoirs, parks and buildings, on foot or in a vehicle;
- Cuts grass, mows steep hills with hand mower trims shrubs, rakes leaves, cuts brush, removes debris, plants, weeds, spades fertilizes, aerates, topdresses and otherwise maintains flowers beds in city/agency run parks, recreation areas and reservoirs;
- Operates light trucks and tractors, transports personnel and equipment;
- Assists in the installation and maintenance of traffic signs and markings;
- Performs a variety of heavy cleaning work including but not limited to: washing and cleaning walls, windows, floors, bathrooms, vehicles and equipment;
- Adds sand, stone and cement to mixing machines;
- Aids in assembling and dismantling of temporary stands for spectator events and cleans spectator area after the event;
- Performs unskilled painting and paint preparation work;
- Uses hand tools such as: mops, brooms, shovels, picks, rakes, scythes, grass whips and weedeaters;
- May operate power tools such as: compressor, jack hammer, pumps, lawn tractors sweepers, screw guns and mowers in performance of duties;
- Assists in re-sodding of green space areas and grading of areas in preparation for seeding;
- Assists in installing and maintaining seasonal snow fences, ropes, flower pots and signs;
- Rakes, chalks, and/or paints lines on fields and makes ready for play;
- Operates portable water pumps to water flowers;
- Performs related work as required.
Also, when employed at the Albany Parking Authority:
- May be required to assist at events including but not limited to collecting payment from customer and operating entry and exit systems.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Ability to learn the practices, tools, and terminology used in parks, streets, sewer and water systems and parking lots/garages;
- Ability to follow simple oral instructions in installation, construction, maintenance and repair;
- Ability to get along with others;
- Ability to perform a variety of heavy manual tasks;
- Ability to learn how to operate manual and power tools;
- Ability to lift a minimum of fifty (50) pounds;
- Ability to work on ladders/lifts;
- Willingness to perform routine manual work; willingness to work outside in all types of weather and under all conditions;
- Physical endurance;
- Sobriety, dependability;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
At least one year experience as a Laborer.
A valid New York State driver’s license is required at the time of appointment and for the duration of employment. Employees possessing additional licenses (e.g. a Commercial Driver’s License) may be required to drive any vehicle which they are licensed to drive.
To apply please click here.
Applicants must meet the requirements as outlined in the above job description.
Section 62-1 of Chapter 62 of the Code of the City of Albany (Residency Requirement) is not a requirement for the position.
The Albany Parking Authority is An Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer.