Hours: 7am to 3pm (40-hour full time)
Salary: $19.50 - $20.50/ hour
Interested in applying for this position? Applications must be submitted online and through the City of Albany's Civil Service Employment Portal
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This position involves the performance of moderately skilled manual labor and the use of power tools, indoors and outdoors, in a group and alone. It requires heavy lifting, physical endurance and the ability to perform physically demanding tasks. Work is usually performed under the general direction of a supervisor although the incumbent may be assigned to complete recurring tasks without supervision and is expected to accomplish tasks as directed. Upon completion of assigned tasks, the incumbent is to report to a supervisor for further directives. Supervision may be exercised over small groups of employees performing manual tasks while the incumbent participates in the work performed. This position involves the assistance in the installation, construction, maintenance and repair of streets, water, drainage and sewer systems. This work includes digging and backfilling trenches and excavations with pick and shovel, patching holes with asphalt, adding sand, stone and cement to mixing machines, sealing cracks, lifting and carrying 50-pound bags of concrete, lifting and loading pieces of broken concrete slabs weighing from 10 to 75 pounds and placing them into a wheel barrow or bucket loader.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Performs maintenance and repairs to vehicles and equipment including but not limited to fluid changes, brake service, water pumps, radiators, tire repair, tire rotations, minor body work, alternators, small engine repairs, tune ups and minor diagnostics;
- Performs minor electrical and plumbing repairs;
- Cuts brush, mows grass, cleans parks, erects snow fences, cleans facilities;
- Assembles and dismantles temporary stands for spectator events and cleans spectator area after the event;
- Does routine gardening work, preservation and maintenance of parks, playgrounds parking lots/garages and recreational areas;
- Operates light trucks and tractors, transports personnel and equipment;
- Operates common park maintenance equipment, including chain saws, compressors and pumps, cement mixer, simple pieces of hydraulic equipment;
- Handles inventory and is charge of the store-room facilities;
- Operates a chipper to clear brush and wood;
- Does rough carpentry and masonry work, unskilled painting and paint preparation work;
- Assists in the installation, construction, maintenance, repair, cleaning and/or removal of parking lots/garages park and playground equipment;
- Loads and unload trucks with various material;
- Participates in shoveling, plowing and all types of snow and ice removal from streets, sidewalks, bridges, driveways, and parking lots/garages, spreads sand and salt as required;
- Walks alongside moving trucks and dumps garbage containers into truck;
- Assists in the installation and maintenance of traffic signs and markings;
- Performs a variety of heavy cleaning work including but not limited to washing and cleaning walls, windows, floors, bathrooms, vehicles and equipment;
- May paint lines on streets;
- May supervise a small crew of employees performing a variety of Laborer’s work;
- Performs related work as required.
Also, when employed at the Albany Parking Authority:
- May be required to assist at events including but not limited to collecting payment from customer and operating entry and exit systems.
- Rakes, chalks, and/or paints lines on fields;
- Operates portable water pumps to water flowers;
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Knowledge of standard tools and practices used in general laboring, street, sidewalk, park and water system maintenance and repair;
- Ability to fill out simple forms and reports electronically;
- Ability to read and write;
- Ability to supervise a small group of laborers;
- Able to perform a wide variety of complex manual tasks;
- Ability to get along with others and follow oral and written instructions;
- Willingness to work outside in all types of weather and under all conditions;
- Physical endurance, sobriety, dependability;
- Ability to lift a minimum of fifty (50) pounds;
- Ability to work from ladders/lifts;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
One year of experience in general laboring work.
A valid New York State driver’s license is required at the time of appointment and for the duration of employment. Employees possessing additional licenses (e.g. a Commercial Driver’s License) may be required to drive any vehicle which they are licensed to drive.
Revised: 1/29/97, 10/00, 2001, NYS CSC 3/24/03, 3/25/15, 1/6/16, 9/30/19
To apply please click here.
Applicants must meet the requirements as outlined in the above job description.
Section 62-1 of Chapter 62 of the Code of the City of Albany (Residency Requirement) is not a requirement for the position.
The Albany Parking Authority is An Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer